|Blodget’s Hotel as it appeared when completed in 1810.|
|Lottery ticket for the Blodget's Hotel raffle|
|Library of Congress. Prints and Photographs Division|
|Washington, D.C., ca. 1803, showing a pastoral view of Washington with the President's House, Gales' House, and Blodget's Hotel to the right. (Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division)|
In 1810, Congress authorized the purchase of the still unfinished hotel to house the Post and Patent offices. The patent office was relocated from the upper floors of the old War Department building to two large and two small rooms in the west wing of the second floor of the hotel. The General Post Office occupied the first floor of the building, and the city post office was located in the basement.
|Old Treasury Building (1801)|