|The Kalorama mansion as it appeared circa 1825|
|The original house built by Anthony Holmead around 1750.|
|The large east wing was added by Joel Barlow and may have been designed by architect Benjamin Latrobe.|
|The conservatory added onto the original house by George |
Due to its isolated location, the mansion was confiscated during the Civil War by a regiment from Illinois for use as a smallpox hospital. The Lovetts temporarily moved to Philadelphia. Hospital tents were struck and out buildings were demolished when the army was disbanded in the fall of 1865. But during a farewell ball for the remaining hospital staff on Christmas Eve of 1865 in the mansion, a defective stove pipe caught fire and completely gutted the east wing. Years would pass before the government settled on the rent and damages to Kalorama during the war.
|Kalorama after the 1865 Christmas Eve fire.|
The Lovetts eventually rebuilt Kalorama and continued to occupy the house until 1889 when it was razed to make room for the extension and grading of S Street.
Click here for a full, annotated history of Kalorama, but please return to this blog to share your thoughts, comments, or insights.